Now that summer is winding down, it’s time to clean out my virtual blogging closet and get a bit organized….I’ve been spending time
bingewatching Friends on Netflix and Supersize vs. Superskinny on YouTube getting outside, hanging with the kids, and just generally enjoying the long summer days before winter (which starts in October and often goes through May…MAY. Why the eff did I move here, again?) sets in.
So while I’ve been
firmly planted on the couch watching my glutes spread out and about having a fulfilling, meaningful life, a few awards and such have been piling up. And yeah, I know I’m not obligated to take these on….but I find they serve two purposes:
- They get the creative juices squeezed out of the driest of lemons – they make you write SOMETHING, and generally, something > nothing. (Unless your writing is crap. But even then, better out than in, right?)
- They give you an opportunity to give a nod to other blogs you enjoy. (There are some real characters on here. Wanna laugh? Cry? Nod frantically while yelling “THIS THIS THIS ZOMG YES THIS EXACTLY“? It’s all on WordPress, folks.)
- It’s free therapy. You can chuck your mind’s ramblings on a virtual wall, and what you get back is validating, encouraging, enlightening, thought-provoking, and/or freakin’ hilarious. For FREE, yo. FREE. (And free can be AWESOME. Have I ever mentioned I met the hubs on a free dating site? I’m like Choos on clearance, totes. Or like stumbling on Prada at the dollar store.)
And yes, that’s three. Or maybe two and a helper with that Common Core brain scramble. I love this post about Common Core at suyts space – the pictures and the ensuing comments sum it all up nicely for me. (See what I did there? <snort>)
A few weeks ago, Chelise from Caterpillar to Butterfly was kind enough to nominate me for a couple of things. First up – the Encouraging Thunder award:
Full disclosure: We have three teenage boys in the house. “Encouraging Thunder” sounds like passive encouragement for a belching contest. OR WORSE. (Which reminds me…Both of our Aim ‘n Flames seem to be empty – mental note to add to shopping list. Along with Febreeze. YAY BOYS.)
Rules for accepting the award:
- Post it on your blog. Check!
- Add the Encouraging Thunder logo. Got it!
- Grant other bloggers the award. Below!
- Mention your purpose in blogging. You can find that here in my first post.
- Thank the person who nominated you. Thanks Chelise! 🙂
- I am learning a lot from Mr. Know Body. Lots of medical stuff (likely not for squeamish delicate-flower types, but good info if you’re not terribly fragile.)
- Also have always enjoyed The Persistent Platypus – she manages anxiety in a very open and extremely positive way. You can’t be in a bad mood after reading one of her posts. I promise. 🙂
Next up: Brighton Bipolar was kind enough to nominate me for the Blogger Recognition Award! By the way, if you don’t read her blog – you totally should. It is filled to the gills with great info on all things mental health – lots of info to digest and share!
1. Select 15 other blogs you want to give the award to. Do some digging if you must! Find those blogs. You cannot nominate yourself or the person who has nominated you.
2. Write a post to show off your award! Give a brief story of how your blog got started, and give a piece or two of advice to new bloggers. Thank whoever nominated you, and provide a link to their blog. List who you’ve nominated in the post. Make sure to also attach the award itself! (You can do this by right-clicking, saving, and uploading the image above).
3. Comment on each blog and let them know you’ve nominated them. Provide a link to the award post you created.
4. Provide a link to the original post on Edge of Night. That way, anyone can find the original guidelines and post if needed, and we can keep it from mutating and becoming confusing!
Let’s get started….<rolls up sleeves and whips out fancy pen>
(Holy Frito. Fifteen?? That’s a hella lot. Lemme think here….I’m just gonna list some blogs I enjoy, learn from, or both):
- The Ninth Life
- Walking After Midnight
- Daily Inspiration Blog
- Vogue Infatuation
- Navy Striped Peonies
- Slightly Imperfect
- Living to Thrive
- This Little Diary
- By Lauren Hayley
- Remember the Good Stuff
- Tati’s Galaxy
- adjust remembered
Whew! I think that’s the first rule I’ve followed in awhile….Gah, following directions is EXHAUSTING.
<leaves for snack time and nap>
OK. <steels self> Let’s git ‘er done.
Give a brief story of how your blog got started, and give a piece or two of advice to new bloggers.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Have we met? (Sorry. Do I have to give the award back? Because Kate is to brief as fish poo is to breakfast.)
OK, back on task here. Hmm.
Well, the good news is that I already wrote about why I’m here, and why I started this blog.
Advice to new bloggers? Hmm….
1. Join the community. Read at least three times as much as you write. “Like” liberally and comment frequently. Put yourself out there – virtually position yourself in the center of the room with a fabulous glass of red, a brilliant frock, and killer shoes – and mingle.
2. Don’t try to cram every thought into your post. It’s like packing for a trip. Sure, you can ALWAYS pack one more pair of socks, but there comes a point where the zipper will kersplode, leaving the tourists and weary business travelers shaking their heads as your unmentionables roll down the conveyor. Not the image you were gunning for. (Clearly, I sort of suck at this one. Both the point AND the analogy. It ain’t full until I sit on it and pull the zipper with pliers to get it shut!)
3. Remember why you’re doing this, and stay true to YOU. Your writing isn’t mass-produced – it’s one-of-a-kind. And sure, that MIGHT mean you’re the sequinned and bedazzled reindeer-and-turnips sweater that your dear Aunt Matilda knitted by hand – but you’ll be the ONLY bedazzled reindeer-and-turnips sweater out there. You’ll find your voice, and it’ll be uniquely yours.
One more – the Just For Fun Blogging Award, created by whereshappy at a funny thing happened when I was learning myself!
- The questions generated should just be silly and fun.
- Invite any one you want to participate, but really think of those people that you find have a great sense of humor and are willing to just play along for a few minutes.
- Please link back to this page (ping me) if you participate so that I can try to see who is giving this a go and to see how far it reaches. I have no problem with this being re-blogged, if that’s how you would like to share.
- This is just for fun and is just a way to get people to know each other better! Seriously, that’s it. Just have some fun with it, please!
- No is a perfectly acceptable answer for me and everyone else. If you think this award is dumb, then more power to you–I hope you have a wonderful day doing whatever floats your boat.
I like her style. 🙂 Plus, she digs Darren Criss WHO I TOTALLY MET IN PERSON WHEN HE DID THE LISTEN UP TOUR IN CLEVELAND. It was my daughter’s 15th birthday present. Happy Birthday to ME, yo. Besides, he’s 18; it’s all legal, baby.
So I’m picking three questions from her list to answer:
What was the first concert you ever attended? The Monkees revival tour, in Elmira, NY. (Revival. 1986, not 1966. JUST TO BE CLEAR.) It. Was. Epic.
Who is your celebrity crush? Since Darren Criss is taken….I loves me some Wayne Brady. He is BRILLIANT.
I got to see him live at an HR conference in 2002 in Philly, and I almost GOT ON STAGE with him, too, but then some pushy harlot pretty much flashed him and I got lost in the shuffle. Brush-with-fame sadness.
Seriously, his improv is ART. ART! (Plus, he’s adorable. Right?) Incidentally….he used to stutter, and had anxiety as a child. He also suffers from depression. Despite these challenges, he’s freakin’ amazing. Tremendous talent in a fine-lookin’ package…. 😉
What is your go to song to sing in the shower? Broadway, baby. My first pick is the complete soundtrack of Andrew Lloyd Webber‘s Aspects of Love. I can pretty much do the whole thing by heart. But in a pinch, I can blast through Les Miserables or Sweeney Todd, too. Nothing blasts through a crappity mood like singing about turning society’s derelicts and deadbeats into savory, craveable meat pies. Right?
1. What’s your FAVORITE pair of shoes? Describe them and tell me how you met.
2. The mail’s here! What do you get SUPER EXCITED about seeing in your mailbox?
3. What condiment can you eat the most of? Like, a shot glass full, or a bowl of?
These ladies are hilarious, so I eagerly anticipate their answers! 🙂
Well, that’s all for this one, folks. All the candy has been tossed, the horses have been swept behind, and the bands have gone home. (Why do they ALWAYS put the marching band BEHIND the horses, anyway?)
Over and out, peeps.
<flips light switch>